Monday, June 14, 2010

This writer's need to read

You've heard the cliche that reading is like breathing.
I concur. Wholeheartedly.

Although not all would agree with this. Being immersed in words, literature, the exchange of ideas and thoughts is therapeutic. It's cathartic. It's necessary.

Some might say it's escapism. True, could be viewed as such.

I'd be the first to admit picking up a book is definitely preferable to some social experiences.

As a child, I had many questions. In those days, there was not much access to finding answers simply by asking. I was shushed a lot for thinking out loud.
It was a time when children were seen and not heard.

Books gave me solace. They enabled my learning. Provided answers to deep questions. Offered explanations, helped me find meaning.

Sure, some reading is for pure entertainment.
Somewhere to unwind and get lost in. Stories allow us to process feelings, wonderment and can offer hope or explore the darker side of the human condition.

As a voracious reader, there is never such thing as enough books.
My home is filled with literature.

I love this quote by Jorge Luis Borges: "I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library".

I second that motion. What are you reading currently?

My small stack of readables includes: The 4-Hour Workweek by Tim Ferriss, Welcome to Your Crisis by Laura Day, The Laws of Lifetime Growth by Dan Sullivan and Catherine Nomura.

Open on my e-reader: Linchpin by Seth Godin and The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman.

No comments:

Post a Comment